SUNSET BAY COOPERATIVE
April 15, 2018 10 am- 11:30 am
In attendance: T. Thorson, J. Ludwin, R.Torres, M. Harper, S. Van Wickler, M. Deluca (via conference call), R. Montalvo &
- Montalbano (part of the time).
- Financial Report: Janet reported balance in Savings Account is $67,401. Remaining balances to follow via email from Janet.
- Shortfall: Janet reported we have a total shortfall each month of $156. As a result of the shortfall, there is a need to raise maintenance fees and structure “Catch Up” fees for all owners. As soon as we have exact numbers from our accountant, we will forward information to Shareholders. Maintenance increase will begin May 1 and “Catch Up” fees will be due by July 1.
- Budget: Marje reported we are in the process of creating a “Line Item Budget” and a template for Quarterly Reports. Michele requested we consider larger projections for anticipated work in order to avoid additional “Shortfalls.”
- Attic/Garage: Marje thanked Stacy for work on clearing garage space in the past and for Christina’s guide to attic space. Currently our attic is quite cluttered and must be cleared to avoid tripping hazards, etc. Tom requested items be discarded as quickly as possible and prior to our stairs being sanded/recovered, etc. A second dumpster pick- up will be requested, if needed. Target time for stair work is Mid- May. (continue)
- Potential Renter: Marje indicated Board Members have been meeting to review the “potential renter’s” financial information. Individual will be interviewed Sunday, April 15, 2018, Noon and, if approved, debriefed re: Co-op rules, bylaws, insurance requirements, etc.
- Project Updates: Tom indicated he will be meeting with Outer County rep. on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 to gain estimates for following work/ repairs:
- siding repair (near Brian’s Unit and result of storm damage)
- lower flat roof above Utility Rm. (sealed).
- Utility Rm. Walls/openings that led to “varmints” damaging Unit #1.
- Unit #4, cracks above doorway leading to bedroom.
- Stairs & Landings: Marje indicated there are many variables to consider and requests we look for landing and vestibule flooring that is ADA compliant and acceptable to shareholders, especially to those who may have special needs. Stacy volunteered to continue her research and communication regarding this issue. Stacy also shared photos of projects similar to our goals of “Health & Safety.”
It was also agreed, work would not begin until Mid-May and/ or until Jim Hood & Joan Lisante reviewed materials. In addition, the refinishing of stairs (2 day projection) would need to be aligned with access needs of Shareholders (Units 5, 6, 7, & 8).
Kevin also helped to direct us to a floor company in Wading River that is reliable and may carry ADA compliant flooring? (continue)
- FEMA Compliance: Michele asked that fine tuning of the Grant be reviewed/ conducted. It was decided, we will review all mandates in May when Michele is back in Sayville and able to review items with us & better direct us to all mandates. We want to ensure compliance. Again, many thanks to Michele for pursuing this Grant and helping to bring us an additional $86,000!
- Directories: Rose reported Directories are being compiled and updated. Special thanks to Rose for the undertaking, ensuring we have everyone’s most recent cell #’s, addresses, etc. as well as worker contact info. etc.
- ****By-Laws: Marje reported the document is still under review with NY State guidelines and office of R. Handler. Until revisions are complete, we use the current By-Laws as reference. **** See notation below
- Summertime: Robert offered to check condition of grills to prepare for use. If repair is needed, Robert will advise us of cost, etc. Thank you Robert for your help. Marje asked if we could “Pipe-In” to existing gas line but it was determined the excessive cost will need to be addressed in next year’s budget.
- General Meetings/ Minutes: The Board tries desperately to hold meetings on the third Sunday of each month, 10 AM.
Winter weather precluded holding some meetings; however, we should be on schedule for upcoming months.
Since the resignation of our Secretary, Minutes of meetings may have been delayed. Rose & Marje are bringing information to date and appreciate your understanding. (continue)
**** By-Laws: FYI… Please keep in mind, By-Laws may not supersede the law. For example, regardless of what is stated in By-Laws or in a Contract, etc. you may not discriminate against a potential buyer if you decide to sell or rent your Unit. This is just one example of points to review. It can be cumbersome!
Please mark your calendar for upcoming meeting dates: 5/20, 6/17, 7/15, 8/19, 9/16. (Third Sunday of each month, 10 AM ).
- A. Harper